New Garbage Collection Vendor
Livingston’s garbage collection is now performed by RTS. All residential pickups will continue as scheduled.
Read the Joint Service Transition and Upcoming Partnership Plan (PDF) published by RTS and Livingston.
Residents who want to sign up for or continue back door / rear-yard pickup service must contact RTS at LivingstonRY@rts.com or 1-833-RTS-LVTN (1-833-787-5886) to register. See below (Other Services) for more information about this service.
For general customer service inquiries:
- Email Livingston@rts.com
- Call 1-833-RTS-LVTN (833-787-5886)
Garbage Trucks May Follow a Different Route for Pickups.
Your garbage pickup may be earlier or later than usual. Garbage collection can occur any time between 6:00 am and 6:00 pm.
- Customer Service: Residents should contact RTS directly at 1-833-RTS-LVTN (1-833-787-5886) or Livingston@rts.com with questions or to report missed pickups.
- Container Size: Containers must not weigh more than 50 pounds, and trucks will take up to three 30-gallon containers per pickup.
Know Your Section & Your Garbage Days
View the Sections and Zones by Street to find your garbage and recycling days of the week.
View Garbage Collection Zones Map (PDF) (color coded for days of the week).
Requirements for Curbside Pickup
6:00 AM Deadline
Per Township Code 265-5, trucks may begin picking up on any street at 6:00 a.m. Residents can put out their garbage at the curb after 4:00 p.m. the day before their scheduled pickup day.
If not putting garbage out the evening before, residents must have their garbage out before 6 a.m. on their scheduled day to guarantee pickup on that day. If garbage is not out and trucks pass through, garbage will not be collected. In that case, the resident must simply hold onto their garbage until their next regular collection day. Please note that garbage must be removed from the curbline in this case.
Containers and Placement
- Please carefully secure all trash in tied plastic bags.
- Make sure containers do not weigh more than 50 pounds. RTS will collect up to three 30-gallon garbage containers per pickup.
- Be careful to not park in front of trash containers or otherwise block access to your trash on trash day.
- Trees (other than branches in bundles)
- Automobile parts
- Soil @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Materials resulting from demolition, alterations, or repairs to buildings or other structures
- Hazardous/combustible/caustic materials
- Other appliances/scrap metal
- Designated recyclable material per Township Ordinance 40-2008 @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
When Trash Is Not Picked Up
Residents with questions about garbage that was placed at the curb on time -- or who have a contract for rear-yard pickup -- but whose garbage was not collected should call RTS at 1-833-787-5886 or email Livingston@rts.com starting on September 1, 2020.
Weather & Holidays
If a holiday or inclement weather prevents RTS from collecting your garbage, the garbage will instead be picked up on your next regularly scheduled garbage collection day. There is no “make up” day for garbage collection. See below for the holiday schedule.
Back Door Pickup Service
- RTS will continue to offer an optional Back Door Trash Removal Service for a fee.
- The rate for this service is $28.75/month.
- Your payment will be processed through monthly auto-pay using your credit card.
- To sign up for this service, please contact LivingstonRY@rts.com.
Bulk pickup will be collected once per month on the last regular collection day of the month.
- Yard waste will be collected once per week, on the second service day of the week (Thursday for M/Th pickup, Friday for T/F pickup, Saturday for W/S pickup).
- Seasonal yard waste includes: bagged lawn cuttings, bundles twigs and branches, and other bagged garden materials.
- For information about the Township's Leaf Collection program (October through December), visit the Leaf Collection page.
Please note: RTS is not responsible for curbside recycling or hazardous household waste pickup.
For recycling-related information from Livingston, visit the recycling page. Recycling guidelines, street listings and special recycling event dates can all be found there. Waste Industries is the recycling collector for Livingston.
If you have any problems or questions related to garbage pickup, please call RTS directly at 1-833-RTS-LVTN (1-833-787-5886). Town Hall cannot help answer garbage collection questions.
There is no garbage pickup on these six holidays:
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
There is no make-up day for garbage pickup. Garbage will be picked up on the next regularly scheduled collection day.