2019 Hydrant Flushing Program is underway, click here for more information.
The Township of Livingston is committed to providing our consumers with high-quality drinking water and information about the drinking water that we provide. Drinking water health and safety standards are set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the NJ Department of Environmental Protection. We regularly test water samples to ensure that our water meets these standards.
Livingston’s water supply comes from a blend of production wells within the Township and bulk water supplies purchased from New Jersey American Water (NJAW). The Township owns and operates twelve production wells. Water purchased from NJAW is a blend of sources that includes: groundwater from the Brunswick Shales; the Buried Valley Aquifer and the Gneiss Rock Formation; and surface water from the Canoe Brook Reservoirs, Passaic River, Raritan River and Wanaque Reservoir. The Township also has metered interconnections with the City of East Orange for emergency use.
Moving? Complete the Final Water Reading Request Form
If you are moving, a final water meter reading is required. The reading must be scheduled before your closing date. Please schedule a reading by filling out the form below:
The Township will only accept final reading requests via this form. Once we have received your completed form, we will confirm receipt and ask for additional information if required. Please submit the form at least 24 hours in advance of the final reading request date to ensure the final reading can be completed on your requested date. Same day final reading cannot be performed.
Water & Sewer Connection Permits
A water & sewer connection permit is required for all new construction is required. Please complete the water & sewer connection permit application and email it to the Township. Please not the Township does not perform utility connections and all connections must be made at the builder's expense. If a road opening is required for the connection, a road opening permit must be completed with the engineering department. Road opening applications can be made here.
- Water & Sewer Connection Permit Application
- Residential Connection Permit - Fee Schedule A
- Commercial Connection Permit - Fee Schedule B
Other Charges and Fees
- Overall Fee Summary
- Water Meters - from 5/8" to 2" in size are available for purchase. Meters 3" and greater are a special order item
- Hydrant Flow Test - $50.00
- Water Shut-Off - $25.00
- Separate meters for irrigation systems are available for purchase in the Water Department. Prior to purchasing a meter, you must obtain a permit for a backflow preventer from the Building Department.
- Visit the Tax Office for online Tax and Water / Sewer Payments and Water Consumption Notification. View Water / Sewer Rates (PDF).
Call Before You Dig
Don’t forget: Call before you dig. Call 800-272-1000 to locate underground utilities!
Water Quality Reports
Check out water quality reports from the past.
Safe Water Statement
View the 2017 Safe Water Statement (PDF).