Recreation & Art
Recreation classes are offered after school during the week from September to June.
An I.E.P. or 504 plan is required for sports league and programs. For more information, please email Jennifer Quirk the Adaptive Recreation Coordinator or call 973-535-7925, ext. 403. Programs are open to non-residents.
Shining Stars Recreational Activities Programs Include:
- Adaptive Swim Program, Sunday mornings, at Haines Pool.
- Art Therapy: sessions are built around improving communication abilities, stress reduction and well-being.
- Arts & Crafts: Kits will be prepackaged for ages 5+. Kits will be theme related around the season & holidays.Skils addressed will be following group directions, using fine motor skils to sort, peel, stick and glue craft pieces. Participants will work on socializong in a group such as peer greeting and conversations.
- Backyard Games: Play a variety of backyard/BBQ/picnic-type games such as Bean Bag Toss, Horseshoes, Frisbee, Badminton, and Yard Darts.
- Board Games and Socialization: Play a variety of classic board games while learning to take turns, tolerate frustration, and interact with peers.
- Cooking: Prepare basic foods while learning to follow directions, identify and retrieve items needed and work together to make a snack. This small-group activity emphasizes socializing and eating once cooking is completed.
- Get Moving: Focus on stretching and moving our bodies through various activities and music.
- Gym Games: Play a variety of gym games such as Kickball, Dodgeball, Steal the Bacon, Scooter Races, Freeze Tag, etc.
- How to Draw Step by Step: Guided drawing of objects and characters from simple to medium level.
- Lego Building: A multi-sensory play and socialization with a focus on various levels of ability.
- Martial Arts: *Please contact us for recommendations.*
- Music and Movement: Sing, play instruments and dance while socializing with friends. Focus is on following directions, listening to the beat and moving around to folk music.
- Nature Walk and Safety Education: Explore nature on the Orchard Hill Trail, learn outdoor safety education and following directions while in an outdoor public space. *Parent participation required.*
- Tennis: This program is located in South Orange, New Jersey. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Yoga: Parent/Child stress relief, open to grades 6 and above.