- Clerk’s Office, Voting & Licenses
- Elections & Voting
Elections & Voting
3 Ways to Vote in the 2023 Primary Election!
Early In-Person Voting: June 2 - 4Hours and Locations: View Early In-Person Voting information for Essex County. Early voting is not offered in all towns in Essex County.
In-Person Voting on Election Day: June 6Voting Hours: 6 AM - 8 PM
- Livingston Library, 10 Robert H. Harp Drive
Districts: 1, 6, 7 ,13, 19, 20, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
- Senior/Community Center, 204 Hillside Avenue
Districts: 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16
- Town Hall, 357 S. Livingston Avenue
Districts: 8, 9, 14, 17, 18, 21
Vote by Mail
1. Early In-Person Voting
Early in-person voting will only be offered at these specific locations in Essex County. Livingston residents may go to any of the locations offered in the County for early in-person voting.
2. In-Person Voting on Election Day
Know Your District — Bring Your Sample Ballot!
Your sample ballot has all the information you need -- bring it with you to your polling location on Election Day.
View Voting Locations by District Number.
Livingston has 3 Polling Locations:
- Livingston Senior/Community Center – 204 Hillside Avenue, Lower Level entrance
- Livingston Town Hall – 357 S. Livingston Avenue, Main Lobby
- Livingston Public Library – 10 Robert H. Harp Drive, Meeting Room
No Voting at Northland Recreation Center! If you have previously voted at Northland, it is very important that you keep your sample ballot, which lists your district number and polling location.
- Districts 1, 6, 7, 13, 20, 23, and 24 voters will now vote at the Livingston Public Library
- District 2 voters will now vote at the Livingston Senior/Community Center
Polls are open 6:00 AM - 8:00 PM. Find your polling place on your Sample Ballot or use New Jersey's Polling Place Search Tool.
All Essex County voting locations have new voting machines.
Voting in Essex County is now officially done on paper ballots, whether mailed in or at a polling location.
New Voting Machines and How to Vote in Essex County (videos).
Visit the Essex County Board of Elections website for helpful videos and answers to all your election and voting questions.
Poll workers are not allowed to accept mail-in ballots.
3. Vote By Mail
You may opt in to vote by mail for any one or all future Elections by indicating your choice on a vote by mail ballot application. See below for more information on Vote By Mail.
Am I Registered to Vote by Mail?
Find out if you're an active "Vote by Mail" voter at Vote.NJ.Gov under Am I Registered?
Opt-Out of Vote by Mail
You may opt-out of vote by mail at any time by completing the opt-out form and submitting it to Essex County.
Returning Your VBM Ballot
VBM Ballots can be mailed at the Post Office, placed in a standard mailbox, delivered to the Essex County Board of Elections Office, or placed in an Essex County Mail-In Ballot Drop-Off Box. See information below for each option.
Vote by mail ballots CANNOT be returned to your polling place.
|Returning your VBM ballot:||Instructions:|
|by USPS Mail||Ballot must be postmarked on or before Election Day at 8:00 pm and be received by your County's Board of Elections no later than 6 days after the time of the closing of the polls for the election.|
|to the Essex County Board of Elections Office||Ballot must be delivered by 8:00 PM on Election Day.|
|to a Secure Ballot Box Location in Essex County (view locations here)||Ballot must be in the drop-box by 8:00 PM on Election Day.|
| The Secure Ballot Box in Livingston is located outside the |
rear entrance of Livingston Town Hall, 357 S. Livingston Avenue.
Dropping Off Someone Else's Completed (Voted) Ballot
What is a "Bearer"?
- Anyone who carries or transports a "cast" (completed) vote for someone else is considered a "Bearer".
- Bearers are limited to submitting three (3) non-household ballots per election.
- Exception: Authorized Bearers may transport up to five (5) ballots in an election if those voters are immediate family members residing in the same household as the Bearer.
- The Bearer MUST SIGN the "Bearer Portion" of the outer envelope in the presence of the voter when taking custody of the ballot.
- Any Bearer Ballots that exceed the limit MUST BE REJECTED.
- If the Bearer is hand-delivering the ballot to the county Board of Elections, then s/he MUST SHOW ID AND SIGN the Bearer Book.
- It is against the law for anyone except the voter to mail or transport their completed ballot unless the outer envelope is sealed and the "Bearer Portion" is completed.
Party Affiliation Change
An affiliation change must be made at least 55 days prior to Primary Election date. Access the NJ State Political Party Affiliation Form (PDF).
Voters must register at least 21 days before an Election date. A New Jersey resident who is at least 17 years of age may pre-register to vote, but cannot vote until reaching the age of 18.
Please view the Essex County Clerk's website for information on Election Results, Sample Ballots, Voter Registration Application, Vote By Mail Ballot Application, and Second Ballot Request Form.
Contact the Essex County Clerk
Essex County Hall of Records
465 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Newark, NJ 07102