Elections & Voting
Voting In Person
- All Essex County voting locations have new voting machines.
- Voting in Essex County is now officially done on paper ballots, whether mailed in or at a polling location.
- ** Know Your District -- Save Your Sample Ballot! **
- Your sample ballot has all the information you need -- bring it with you to your polling location on Election Day.
- You can visit the Essex County Board of Elections website for helpful videos and answers to all your election and voting questions.
- Poll workers are not allowed to accept mail-in ballots this year.
- Jump to: Returning your mail-in ballot
Livingston has 3 polling locations:
- Livingston Senior/Community Center – 204 Hillside Avenue, Lower Level entrance
- Livingston Town Hall – 357 S. Livingston Avenue, Main Lobby
- Northland Community Center – 3 Jefferson Court
Polls are open 6:00 am - 8:00 pm. Find your polling place on your sample ballot or use New Jersey's Polling Place Search Tool.
See below for information on the options for returning your mail-in ballot.
Watch: How to Vote by Mail (Essex County)
Voting By Mail
Returning Your VBM Ballot
VBM Ballots can be mailed at the Post Office, placed in a standard mailbox, delivered to the Essex County Board of Elections Office, or placed in an Essex County Mail-In Ballot Drop-Off Box. See information below for each option.
|Returning your VBM ballot:||Instructions:|
|by USPS Mail||Ballot must be postmarked on or before Election Day.|
|to the Essex County Board of Elections Office|
(465 Dr. Martin Luther King Dr. Room 411 Newark, NJ 07102)
|Ballot must be delivered by 8:00 pm on Election Day.|
|to a Secure Ballot Box Location in Essex County(View locations here)||Ballot must be in the drop-box by 8:00 pm on Election Day.|
| The Secure Ballot Box in Livingston is located outside the |
rear entrance of Livingston Town Hall, 357 S. Livingston Avenue.
Dropping Off Someone Else's Completed (Voted) Ballot
What is a "Bearer"?
- Anyone who carries or transports a "cast" (completed) vote for someone else is considered a "Bearer".
- Anyone serving as a Bearer may only submit up to five (5) completed mail-in ballots on behalf of other qualified voters for each election.
- The Bearer must sign the "Bearer Portion" of the outer envelope in the presence of the voter when taking custody of the ballot.
- It is against the law for anyone except the voter to mail or transport their completed ballot unless the outer envelope is sealed and the "Bearer Portion" is completed.
Watch: Voting by Mail in Essex County
Important Election Dates & Deadlines
Party Affiliation Change
An affiliation change must be made at least 55 days prior to Primary Election date. Access the NJ State Political Party Affiliation Form (PDF).
Voters must register at least 21 days before an Election date. A New Jersey resident who is at least 17 years of age may pre-register to vote, but cannot vote until reaching the age of 18.
Contact the Essex County Clerk
Essex County Hall of Records
465 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Newark, NJ 07102