Smoke Detector Requirements for Resale
Smoke Detector Locations
All smoke detectors shall be mounted with screws. Mounting of the detector will not be accepted when using tape, hung on a picture hook or nails.
- Basement: Mounted to the ceiling at the bottom of the stairs. If there is a bedroom on this level the detector shall be placed within 10' of the bedroom, and not at the bottom of the stairs.
- Ground Floor: Mounted to the ceiling at the bottom of stairs that lead to the 1st floor. If there is a bedroom on the ground floor the detector shall be placed within 10' of the bedroom, and not at the bottom of the stairs.
- 1st Floor: Mounted to the ceiling at the bottom of the stairs that lead to the 2nd floor. If there is a bedroom on the 1st floor the detector shall be placed within 10' of the bedroom, and not the bottom of the stairs.
- 2nd Floor: Mounted to ceiling within 10' of bedrooms.
- 3rd Floor: Mounted to ceiling at the top of the stairs or within 10' of bedrooms.
- Attic: Not Required.
Carbon Monoxide Detector Locations
Install the C/O detector(s) within 10 feet of any bedroom area. Mount the unit on the wall or ceiling as specified in the manufacturer’s instructions using the supplied hardware. Devices are permitted to be battery powered, hardwired or plug-in type. If there is not an outlet in the area of the bedrooms, use a battery-powered unit.
All detectors shall be UL listed. Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors (excluding plug-in style C/O detectors) shall be mounted using screws. Mounting of the detectors using tape, Velcro, nails or hung on a picture hook will not be accepted. Battery-powered smoke detectors must be the 10-year sealed-battery design as of 01/01/2019.
One ABC-rated fire extinguisher with a classification code of 2A:10B: C or greater shall be wall mounted in a visible and accessible location in or within 10 feet of the kitchen. The fire extinguisher is not allowed to be placed in a cabinet, closet, pantry or behind any doors. The fire extinguisher mounting height shall be approximately 5 feet off of floor. If there are multiple kitchens, each kitchen requires an extinguisher.
The initial inspection is $50; for each re-inspection required following an unsuccessful initial inspection, an additional charge of $25 shall be applied.
All fees are payable to the Township of Livingston (cash or check, no credit cards) at the time of inspection.