Garbage Collection Vendor RTS
Livingston’s garbage collection vendor is RTS.
To report a missed pickup or for assistance with any customer service issues:
- Visit support.rts.com and submit a support ticket for prompt response
- Call 1-833-RTS-LVTN (833-787-5886)
Residents who want to sign up for or continue back door / rear-yard pickup service must contact RTS at LivingstonRY@rts.com or 1-833-RTS-LVTN (1-833-787-5886) to register. See below (Other Services) for more information about this service.
Read the Joint Service Transition and Upcoming Partnership Plan (PDF) published by RTS and Livingston.
Garbage Pickup Schedule
Garbage collection can occur any time between 6:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
- Customer Service: Residents should contact RTS directly by visiting support.rts.com and submitting a support ticket, or by calling 1-833-RTS-LVTN (1-833-787-5886) with questions or to report missed pickups.
- Containers: Residents are responsible for supplying their own garbage containers.
- Container Size: Containers must not weigh more than 50 pounds, and trucks will take up to three 30-gallon containers per pickup.
Know Your Section & Your Garbage Days
View the Sections and Zones by Street to find your garbage and recycling days of the week.
View Garbage Collection Zones Map (PDF) (color coded for days of the week).
Yard Waste Collection
Yard waste refers to:
- Branches, Tree Limbs and Brush: Cut to 4 ft. maximum length and tie in easily handled bundles. Bundles should not contain any difficult-to-handle sections that might endanger either the equipment or the workers. These should be cut further into more manageable pieces.
- NOTE: Logs or stumps will not be accepted.
- Grass Clippings: Bag grass clippings securely in black contractor bags and leave the bags at the curb according to the Yard Waste Pickup Frequency guide below.
- Leaves: From April 1 through October 30, bag leaves securely in black contractor bags and leave the bags at the curb. NOTE: No leaves will be picked up with yard waste during the period of the Township's Leaf Collection Program.
Yard Waste Pickup Frequency
Livingston's garbage collection vendor RTS provides yard waste collection as follows:
- Twice-per-week collection: April 1 through October 30
- Once-per-week collection: November through March 31
- Pickup will be on the second pickup day of the week
- No leaves will be picked up with yard waste during the period of the Township's Leaf Collection Program
NOTE: During the Township's Leaf Collection Program -- from late October through early December -- yard waste other than leaves will be collected by RTS once per week, on the second service day of the week (Thursday for M/Th pickup, Friday for T/F pickup, Saturday for W/S pickup). Read more about yard waste pickup
Requirements for Curbside Pickup
Per Township Code 265-5, trucks may begin picking up on any street at 6:00 a.m.
Residents can put out their garbage at the curb after 4:00 p.m. the day before their scheduled pickup day.
If not putting garbage out the evening before, residents must have their garbage out before 6:00 a.m. on their scheduled day to guarantee pickup on that day. If garbage is not out and trucks pass through, garbage will not be collected. In that case, the resident must simply hold onto their garbage until their next regular collection day.
Please note that garbage and containers must be removed from the curb area and stored appropriately, both after pickup and in the case of a resident missing the 6:00 a.m. deadline.
Containers and Placement
- Residents are responsible for supplying their own garbage containers.
- Containers are to be secured on the property and away from the curb on days other than collection days.
- Carefully secure all trash in tied plastic bags.
- Make sure containers do not weigh more than 50 pounds. RTS will collect up to three 30-gallon garbage containers per pickup.
- Do not park in front of trash containers or otherwise block access to your trash on your trash day.
- Trees (other than branches in bundles)
- Automobile parts
- Soil @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Materials resulting from demolition, alterations, or repairs to buildings or other structures
- Wooden Pallets
- Hazardous/combustible/caustic materials
- Other appliances/scrap metal
- Designated recyclable material per Township Ordinance 40-2008 @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
When Trash Is Not Picked Up
Residents with questions about garbage that was placed at the curb on time -- or who have a contract for rear-yard pickup -- but whose garbage was not collected should call RTS at 1-833-787-5886 or email them at Livingston@rts.com.
Weather & Holidays
If a holiday or inclement weather prevents RTS from collecting your garbage, the garbage will instead be picked up on your next regularly scheduled garbage collection day. There is no “make up” day for garbage collection. See below for the holiday schedule.
Rear-Yard Pickup Service
- RTS will continue to offer an optional Rear-Yard Trash Removal Service for a fee.
- The rate for this service is $28.75/month.
- Your payment will be processed through monthly auto-pay using your credit card.
- NOTE: If you wish to arrange for a different payment schedule (e,g, annual, quarterly, etc.) contact RTS directly.
- To sign up for this service, please contact LivingstonRY@rts.com.
Bulk pickup will be collected once per month on your last regular collection day of the month.
- Yard waste is collected twice per week through October 30.
- During the Township's Leaf Collection program from late October through early December, yard waste other than leaves will be collected by RTS once per week, on the second service day of the week (Thursday for M/Th pickup, Friday for T/F pickup, Saturday for W/S pickup).
- Seasonal yard waste includes: bagged lawn cuttings, bundles twigs and branches, and other bagged garden materials.
- For information about the Township's Leaf Collection program (October through December), visit the Leaf Collection page.
Please note: RTS is not responsible for picking up curbside recycling, electronics, metal items, or hazardous household waste.
For recycling-related information from Livingston, visit the recycling page. Recycling guidelines, street listings and special recycling event dates can all be found there. Waste Industries is the recycling collector for Livingston.
If you have any problems or questions related to garbage pickup, please call RTS directly at 1-833-RTS-LVTN (1-833-787-5886). Town Hall cannot help answer garbage collection questions.
There is no garbage pickup on these six holidays:
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- July 4th
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
There is no make-up day for garbage pickup. Garbage will be picked up on the next regularly scheduled collection day.