|Week||Put Leaves in Street||Leaves Picked Up||Section|
|1||Oct. 25 - Oct. 31||Nov. 1 - Nov. 7||1|
|2||Nov. 1 - Nov. 7||Nov. 8 - Nov. 21||2|
|3||Nov. 15 - Nov. 21||Nov. 22 - Nov. 28||3|
|4||Nov. 28 - Dec. 5||Nov. 29 - Dec. 11||1, 2, & 3|
- Only leaves are to be put out for pickup at the curb during the Leaf Collection Program; no brush, branches, plants, planters, or any other types of debris will be accepted.
- Once the leaves in your section have been picked up, do not place more leaves in the street until the next scheduled date (week 4 for all sections).
- The last date to put leaves in the street for collection is Sunday, December 5, 2021.
- Make sure your landscaper knows these dates.
Grass & Leaf Disposal Guidelines
Township of Livingston General Ordinance Chapter 178, “Littering” contains the following requirements for disposing of grass clippings and leaves for the leaf collection season. Note: Anyone who does not follow the requirements for disposing of grass clippings and leaves may be subject to a fine as established in Chapter 178, “Littering” of the Township of Livingston General Ordinances.
- Do not dispose of grass clippings by placing or causing them to end up (i.e., through air blowers or other mechanical equipment) on adjacent property.
- Do not dispose of grass clippings by depositing them in any catch basin or sewer or by leaving them along any curb line or gutter.
- Do dispose of grass clippings only by putting them in a container or bag and placing them out for collection with regular garbage pickup.
- Do not dispose of leaves by placing or causing them to end up (I.e., through air blowers or other mechanical equipment) on adjacent property.
- Do not dispose of leaves by depositing them in any catch basin or sewer or by leaving them along any curb line or gutter.
- Do dispose of leaves in containers, except during the scheduled annual leaf collection program.
- Do place leaves at the curb line or in the gutter of that portion of the public street adjacent to the property from which the leaves are being disposed of only during the annual leaf collection program according to the times and dates in the published leaf collection program schedule.
- Do not place leaves closer than 10 feet from any storm drain inlet or catch basin.
- Do only place leaves in the street gutter only for a maximum period of 7 days before their actual collection.
Basic Leaf Collection Sections
- Section 1: Area north of East / West of Mount Pleasant Avenue.
- Section 2: Area south of East and West Mount Pleasant Avenue and north of East and West Northfield Road.
- Section 3: Area south of East and West Northfield Road and West Mount Pleasant Avenue west of the traffic circle.
Leaf Collection on County and State Roads:
Leaves Must be Bagged
Leaves to be collected along County and State Roads must be bagged in paper leaf bags.
Livingston Township provides free paper leaf bags to property owners on Essex County roads or State Highway Route 10 (Mt. Pleasant Avenue). Find out if you live on an Essex County or NJ State road here (PDF).
Leaf bags can be picked up 8 am - 3 pm from Monday, October 4, 2021 through Friday, November 19, 2021 at the Public Works Garage located at 235 S. Livingston Avenue, between 8:00 am - 3:00 pm on weekdays. List of County & State Roads (PDF). NOTE: Proof of address is required.
Leaf collection on Essex County Roads and State Highway Rt. 10 will occur once per week during the Leaf Collection Season, once leaf collection has begun on November 1 (see chart above). Along those roads, leaves will only be picked up if they are properly bagged.
The final date that paper-bagged leaves may be placed at the curb for collection on Essex County roads and State Highway Rt. 10 is December 5, 2021.