- Livingston is an EPA WaterSense Partner
- Register a WaterSense Certified Smart Controller
Register a WaterSense Certified Smart Controller
Does your lawn irrigation system use a WaterSense Certified Smart Controller?
If so, register your system with the following steps:
- Make sure that the product model is on the EPA’s list of approved devices: WaterSense Product Search.
- Complete and submit the Smart Controller Registration Form
- The submission will be reviewed by the water department and once accepted a Water Sense Registered Smart Controller flag will be issued. The address will be written on the backside of the flag. This flag can be displayed on the property during sprinkler season showing the exemption. If there is an issue with the submission you will be contacted.
- The flag can be picked up in person or mailed/delivered to your mailbox.
Livingston’s WaterSense Partnership
The Township of Livingston is proud to have teamed with the U.S Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA’s) WaterSense program to help save water and reduce costs on utility bills. WaterSense aims to decrease indoor and outdoor water use through water-efficient products and water-saving practices.
The program encourages customers to look for WaterSense labeled products, which are independently certified to use 20% less water and perform as well as or better than standard models.
Livingston’s Township Code regulates days of the week and times of day that properties may water (quick guide: When Can I Water My Lawn?). This is an important step in improving our water-efficiency awareness. Those with WaterSense Certified Smart Controller systems are exempt from the day-of-week regulations. These specific Smart Controller systems sense the level of moisture in the soil, only allowing the irrigation system to water when actually needed. Decreasing our overall water use means not having have to buy as much water at high rates during peak periods.
For technical questions or questions about registering a WaterSense controller, email the Water Department or call the Water Department at 973-535-7951.
Other product categories eligible for the WaterSense label include:
- Bathroom faucets and accessories
- Flushing urinals
- Pre-rinse spray
- Shower heads
- Weather-based irrigation controllers
WaterSense also offers a label for new single-family homes and multi-family units that include WaterSense labeled products, efficient hot water delivery systems, water-smart landscapes, and other water-efficient features. In addition, WaterSense labels programs that certify landscape irrigation professionals that highlight water-efficient practices.