The Cemetery is open to the public on specific days each year:
Memorial Day and Veterans Day
2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
This private burial ground of Captain William Ely and his family is located on the west side of Hillside Avenue near the intersection with Route 10 in Livingston.
Captain Ely, a veteran of the Colonial Wars, moved to New Jersey from Lyme, Connecticut, in 1756, along with his wife Elizabeth Perkins Ely and their seven children.
Final Resting Place
One “rood” (1/4 acre) of his farm was set apart for a family burial ground. It is surrounded by a wall of native granite that was quarried on the Ely farm. The cemetery is the last resting place of generations of Ely’s as well as other prominent families with whom they inter-married, such as the Halsey, Smylie, Watson, Vanderpoel and others. Some were traders, soldiers, politicians, clergymen, or tavern-keepers, as well as successful farmers.
The last interment, in 1978, was that of Janet Halsey Olstead, an eighth generation descendant of Captain William Ely.
As court-appointed trustee of the cemetery, the Livingston Historical Society is required to restore and maintain the grounds in good condition.