Livingston Township will be divided into three sections for the 2023 annual Leaf Collection Program. Leaves may only be placed in the street gutter on the specific dates listed in the 2023 Leaf Collection Program Schedule for each respective week and section. Prior to the stated calendar dates, leaves should be left on the lawn at the curb line.
Leaves fall at different times, depending on weather conditions. This is the reason that Department of Public Works trucks are scheduled to pick up leaves throughout all sections of town during the last week of the Leaf Collection Program.
As long as residents have placed their leaves at the curb line by Sunday, December 10, 2023 they will be picked up. Any leaves placed out after December 10th may not be picked up. It will then be the homeowner’s responsibility to bag those leaves and put them out with regular trash after the Leaf Collection Program has ended.
The New Jersey Stormwater Management Rules state that leaves:
- must be at least 10 feet away from any storm drain inlet or catch basin, and
- can only be left in the street gutter for a maximum period of 7 days prior to their scheduled collection date.
The Township of Livingston is required by the State of New Jersey to enforce the Stormwater Management Rules; therefore, failure to follow the leaf collection schedule and requirements could result in warnings and fines being issued to both the resident and respective landscape contractor. Township of Livingston Ordinance Chapter 178, “Littering,” contains the requirements for disposing of grass clippings and leaves. Residents must adhere to the following:
- Dispose of grass clippings only by putting them in a container or bag.
1. DO NOT dispose of grass clippings by placing them or causing them to end up on adjacent property (i.e., through air blowers or other mechanical equipment.)
- DO NOT dispose of grass clippings by depositing them in any catch basin or sewer, or by leaving them along any curb line or gutter.
- Dispose of leaves in a container or bag, except during the scheduled annual Leaf Collection Program, when they must be left at the curb line for collection.
- Put leaves on the curb or in the gutter of that portion of the public street adjacent to the property from which the leaves are being disposed only during the annual Leaf Collection Program, according to the times and dates in the published Leaf Collection Program Schedule.
- Put leaves in the street gutter for a maximum period of only 7 days before the scheduled collection date.
- Put leaves for disposal — only if you live on Essex County or NJ State roads — either in paper leaf bags which have been provided by the Township, or their equivalent.
- Understand that anyone who does not follow the requirements for disposing of grass clippings and leaves may be subject to a fine as established in Chapter 178, “Littering,” of the Township of Livingston General Ordinances.
- DO NOT dispose of leaves by placing them or causing them to be on adjacent property (i.e., through air blowers or other mechanical equipment.)
- DO NOT dispose of leaves by depositing them in any catch basin or sewer.
- DO NOT place leaves closer than 10 feet from any storm drain inlet or catch basin.
- DO NOT place leaves at the curb lines of the following streets, which are Essex County and NJ State roads: Beaufort Avenue, East Cedar Street, Eisenhower Parkway, East/West Hobart Gap Road, Kennedy Parkway, Laurel Avenue, South/North Livingston Avenue, East/West Northfield Road, Old Short Hills Road, Parsonage Hill Road, Passaic Avenue, Shrewsbury Drive, South Orange Avenue, Walnut Street, and State Highway Rt. 10 (East/West Mt. Pleasant Avenue).
Leaves along these roads must be put in bags.
The 2023 Livingston Township Leaf Collection Program Schedule is as follows:
2023 Livingston Township Leaf Collection Program Schedule
Leaf Collection Section
Place leaves in the street gutter on these dates
Leaves will be picked up between these dates
Oct. 30 – Nov. 5
Nov. 6 – Nov. 11
Nov. 6 – Nov. 11
Nov. 13 – Nov. 25
Nov. 20 – Nov. 25
Nov. 27 – Dec. 2
1, 2 & 3
Nov. 27 – Dec. 10
Dec. 4 – Dec. 16
Once the leaves on your street have been picked up, do not put more leaves in the street until the next scheduled date.
Last date to put leaves in the street gutter for pickup:
*Sunday, December 10, 2023*
** Make sure your landscaper knows these dates **
Section 1: Area north of East & West Mount Pleasant Avenue.
Section 2: Area south of East & West Mount Pleasant Avenue and north of East & West Northfield Road.
Section 3: Area south of East & West Northfield Road and West Mount Pleasant Avenue west of the traffic circle.
NOTE: For more information on Sections, or to find a specific street, visit livingstonnj.org/LeafCollection.
Leaf collection on Essex County Roads and State Highway Rt. 10 will occur once each week during the 2023 leaf collection season.
The final date leaves may be placed in the gutter for collection on municipal streets is Sunday, December 10, 2023.
The final date that paper bagged leaves may be placed at the curb for collection on Essex County roads and State Highway Rt. 10 is Sunday, December 10, 2023.
Reminder: Properties on Essex County roads and State Highway Rt. 10 (East/West Mt. Pleasant Avenue) must place leaves for disposal in paper bags which have been either provided by the Township or are their equivalent. No unbagged leaves for disposal may be placed at the curbline on County or State roads. Bagged leaves will only be collected on County and State Roads.
Residents can find information and answers to frequently asked questions about the Leaf Collection Program — including how to locate their leaf collection section — on the Township website at livingstonnj.org/LeafCollection.
Anyone with an issue relating to leaf collection not found on the Township’s Leaf Collection website page can call 973-992-5000, ext. #5522 or:
Residents with a landscape contractor: Please share the requirements for grass and leaf collection disposal, along with the Leaf Collection Schedule, with your landscape contractor. Landscapers must also follow the dates of the Leaf Collection Program Schedule for the property.
For more information visit livingstonnj.org/LeafCollection.